Attack of the Holidays: How to fight the extra pounds and stay on track in the gym this winter.
It starts with Halloween candy and ends with Valentine’s Day treats. For three and a half months, we battle oversized portions, sweet deliveries, and holiday parties. Every excuse to skip workouts surfaces and, before we know it, the winter blues set in. It’s a slippery slope.
So, what are you going to do?
This year is your year to take action and stay one step ahead. Triplex and BTB are here to help keep you motivated and on track. Our game plan: plan, prepare, perform. Let’s break it down.
The average individual typically only gains 1 pound during the holidays. Overweight individuals typically gain between 3-5 pounds during the holidays. The real problem is the weigh stays on, and the unhealthy habits we start during the holiday season tend to stay with us throughout the year. Year to year the weight stays on and, before you know it, you’ve put ten pounds on. Discipline with portions and food choices is the best prevention of bad habits and consecutive weight gain. Here’s a quick guide to help you stay disciplined:
- Plan ahead. If you know you’re attending a party that afternoon or evening, make sure you have a balanced breakfast and lunch. Stack up on protein, and avoid going to the event hungry. If possible, offer to prepare a dish you know you’ll be ‘safe’ consuming.
- Limit yourself. Stay away from rich, fatty, fried foods. Opt for herbs and spices instead of salty and refined. If there is a dish you absolutely cannot go without, split it with someone. Moderation!
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water before and during social events. Try drinking water between alcoholic beverages to limit your calorie intake.
- Be disciplined. The bottom line has been, and always will be, that you can’t intake more than you output.
While it’s easy to wait till January 1st to make resolutions, the truth is you’re goals will only be harder to reach the longer you wait. To battle the waistline bulge and winter blues, we’ve got some tips on how to get after sooner rather than later.
- Accountability. Schedule an early workout with a friend, whether it’s a sunrise run or 5 am class at Triplex, it’s important to keep your body tuned up during the hard winter months. It’s not nearly as easy to skip a workout if a buddy is waiting for you.
- Set a goal. Whether it’s a weight loss/maintenance goal or race, pick something to strive for and achieve come springtime. Having an incentive will help keep you on track and in shape.
- Invest in coaching. We’ll keep it fresh, help you stick to your program, and encourage you. Susan’s running plan will ensure your success in finishing a race, and Kyle’s training program will ensure you get stronger and leaner. Teamwork makes the dream work!
- Just do it. There's only one way to stay in shape, you have to do the work to be successful! Nothing can replace hard work.
We want you to enjoy this holiday season. In fact, we want you to become a better, stronger, faster version of you, regardless the time of year. Plan, prepare, perform. Cheers to being a step ahead in 2017.
- Becca DeVries